Amazon.com

Friday, March 5, 2010

6 weeks and still going!


What's new? hmmm...I didn't post my hemp milk journey on FB so if you missed it it's below this blog entry.

Still going strong on my vegan journey. It's really not hard and no, I'm not starving all the time. Veggies are really filling. I can't get enough collard greens and kale, I think they are my two favorites now. What do people think or say? Don't really care. Has someone said "you're crazy" - yep, heard that. 

So then my question was "why"? Why would you say someone is crazy because they don't eat meat, drink milk or use butter. Personally I think what is crazy is people going through the drive thru at a fast food restaurant several times a week when so much is known about how bad fast food is for you. Why is it crazy to eat wholesome food, but not crazy to eat crap that is soaked in oil, deep fried, full of salt, sugar, etc? I personally don't think it is and to be honest I was a little annoyed by the "crazy" statement. But then I realized that it's due to a lack of knowledge, a lack of knowing how good eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, etc. can be for you. And for that I feel bad. 

I'm not going to get on my soapbox and preach to that person about this, but maybe little by little they will see the difference. There is just too much evidence now to ignore the good that a vegan lifestyle can do. Read "The China Study", it's not a book written by some hack that is just trying to preach their ideas. It's not a diet book telling you how to eat for your blood type, how to lose 10 pounds over the weekend, or saying that you should live on lemon water and cabbage soup.

The China Study, www.thechinastudy.com
The science is clear. The results are unmistakable. Change your diet and dramatically reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Respected nutrition and health researcher, Dr. T. Colin Campbell reveals the truth behind special interest groups, government entities and scientists that have taken Americans down a deadly path.

I haven't gone totally vegan when it comes to my shoes, I simply have way too many pairs that I can't give them away and buy a whole new shoe wardrobe. But will I buy non-leather shoes in the future? Yes. I'll slowly replace things like that to fully embrace being vegan. I can't afford to go out and replace my shoe wardrobe. And oh, yeah those tight leather pants, well...get your mind out of the gutter- I don't have any leather pants. Gave those puppies up in the 80's! ;) But I did donate my leather jacket to goodwill! It was kind of time to anyway as it was getting a bit worn out, but still wearable. 

I read labels, there are a lot of hidden animal products in foods, so it does take a commitment if you buy a lot of processed foods, which I try to stay away from. I also look at what's in it. Is it whole foods or a bunch of things I can barely pronounce? If I can't pronounce it, perhaps I shouldn't eat it! 

I have totally stocked up on a bunch of vegan cookbooks, it's been a blast trying new recipes, so far almost all of them have been hits. There have been a few that I probably won't cook again, but that's the fun in cooking - finding what you like, what you love and what isn't your cup of tea. I'm not a huge tofu person, tempeh is good and I really like seitan. Seitan, what? Is Karen worshiping the devil (and she can't spell)? No! 

Seitan - Although it is made from wheat, seitan has little in common with flour or bread. Also called “wheat meat”, “wheat gluten” or simply “gluten”, seitan becomes surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked, making it a popular meat substitute. Seitan is also high in protein, making it a popular protein source for vegetarians. Asian restaurants often use seitan as a vegetarian mock meat, and seitan is also the base for several commercially available products. It might look a little weird, but the texture is meat like so it works great in stir fry, spaghetti, stews, asian dishes, etc. And I can make my own which makes it dirt cheap! 

And do I feel better for not contributing to the horrible way that animals are treated that are used for meat and dairy?- yes I do. Maybe it took me a long time, but the fact that I am a huge animal lover should mean that I love all animals and not just dogs and cats. Why would I have one type as a pet and eat another, I guess that finally made sense to me - I shouldn't. So, I don't! 
There is a really great post by a 12 year old girl (yep, 12) about the environmental impact of a meat based diet, if you are interested, read on: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/ft_eco_living/574


Oh yeah, I am now up to 19 inches lost overall!

Eat your veggies, 

Karen