Amazon.com

Sunday, April 11, 2010

You are what you eat

You are what you eat, sounds familiar right? No offense to Q'doba, but if I have one more naked burrito with grilled veggies (hold the cheese and sour cream) at the airport in Seattle, I am pretty sure I will turn into one! 

So I decided to go to Anthony's where I used to always eat in my pre-vegan days. Nothing there is vegetarian, let alone vegan. So I ordered the shrimp mango salad, hold the shrimp, hold the bacon and hold the blue cheese please! Seems like I should get a discount on that salad doesn't it! It was actually delicious! But those are the difficulties vegans face. I try not to get picky about it because I really don't want someone adding a special "yellow" seasoning back in the kitchen when I ask for things slightly differently! 


Airports are the worst for vegans, wait, I take that back, the worst place is the cafeteria at the VA hospital in Seattle! The choice there is brownish iceberg lettuce, ick! At least the coffee cart does soy lattes! 

Luckily, I was in Portland part of this past week and got to eat at my favorite spot, Blossoming Lotus. I had the live soup (apple/squash) and the live pizza. At home I have been integrating more raw food recipes into my meals. 

I bought books from Kristen's Raw, she's a raw vegan chef. Had some great things so far. Just started reading the book "Becoming Raw". I'm not totally jumping on the raw food bandwagon because there are just some things that I like cooked and research has shown that there are some vegetables that are better eaten cooked or slightly cooked. 

 
So why raw?  

Well, I have noticed that when I eat about 50-75% raw everyday that I have so much more energy, even if I miss my workout. So at home, I'm trying to do mainly raw, not 100%, but about 75% raw.



Right now, in my dehydrator (Excalibur) I have my raw granola bars and raw chocolate hemp bars dehydrating. My kitchen smells so good, I can smell the chocolate! I'm going to make some hemp seed/chia seed crackers next for some homemade hummus! I made some great flax/hemp sun dried tomato crackers about 2 weeks ago that were awesome. I'm making up some goodies to take with me this coming weekend for my Virginia City 3 day paranormal ghost hunt! 

I bought a really good hurom juicer and have been having fun making "plant blood". A whole mix of different veggies and fruits. Really yummy. I notice that my taste buds are much more active since going vegan. Not sure why, but it's amazing the flavors that I seem to pick up on now. 


So I'm 10 weeks in and loving my vegan life. Eat your veggies, try some raw!


Karen 

No comments: