Amazon.com

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Green Smoothies

I have had so many people ask about what I put in my green smoothies I figured I'd put it in my blog so that if you want to try it, you can! 

I'm to the point now where I just throw things together in my blender. But my original ideas came from the green smoothie girl videos on youtube and by trial and error.

Start first with 1-2 cups cold purified water in the blender. If making it for one person or just one per day, use 1 cup, you can always add more. 
Veggies: I usually use 3-4 different leafy green veggies per smoothie
  • lacinato kale, aka dinosaur kale - Nugget Market by me almost always has organic lacinato kale so I use this type, but you could use curly kale also, just not the flowering kale type.
 

  • collard greens  (SOOOOOO good for you!)
  • spinach (If I do spinach I tend to throw in an orange or some OJ since the iron from spinach is more available when adding something with vitamin C (it’s the oxalic acid thing that prevents the iron from being absorbed well by the body)
  • romaine lettuce or red/green leafy lettuce (iceberg is not lettuce to me and has no nutritional value so I steer away from iceberg) 
  • beet greens (I love beets and buy mine with the greens attached, when you get them home cut off the greens about 1 inch from the beet and store them separately-keeps the beets fresher longer)
  • broccoli
  • celery

Fruit: 
I always use a frozen berry (blueberries are my fav, but I do sometimes add other frozen berries. You can use fresh, but the frozen one's keep the smoothie nice and cold!)
  •  1 cup of frozen blueberries (I always have bags of the frozen organic wild blueberries from Trader Joe's in my freezer)
  • 1/2 cucumber (yes, scientifically speaking the cucumber is actually a fruit!)
  • 1/2 frozen banana (I just chop them up and freeze them in little snack size bags so I always have them in my freezer and since I like bananas without spots, the one's that get spots work great for freezing, I just can't eat overripe bananas unless they are in a smoothie!)
  • 1 granny smith apple (or fuji, depending on what I have) 
  • 1-2 carrots
Extras: From my last blog you know I'm a hemp and chia seed freak!
  • heaping tablespoon of hemp seed
  • 2 teaspoons chia seeds
  • Depending on what my day is like, I might throw in some hemp protein powder
  • Or I might throw in a scoop of Vega (whole food optimizer, all vegan)

As to how much of each to add, for the greens it's probably about 4-5 large leaves each of kale, collard greens and a handful of lettuce or spinach. But I usually judge that based on how full the blender gets once things are all smooth and throw in more if needed.

If you aren't used to green smoothies, it might take a bit of time to get used to them so add more fruit to start. That way you get a lot of the sweetness of the fruit and less of the veggie taste. Then slowly add less fruit. It’s the combo of the veggies with the fruit that makes it taste good.


I know that many people will add in a squeeze of agave nectar to sweeten it a bit, but I don't do that. No need to add more sweetness in my view!

 I tried adding a bit of red pepper and orange pepper as they have good vitamin C content, but didn’t like that in the smoothie as it added a weird flavor.
I finally broke down and bought a Vita-Mix blender, it's the "lear-jet" of blenders and my smoothies are SUPER smooth now! Now go eat your veggies...in a smoothie!

No comments: