Amazon.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013

People now suing Subway because it's not really a footlong...

 

So now people, well actually two men from New Jersey, are suing Subway because their "footlong" sandwich is not actually a foot long in most cases, it's 11 inches...I thought men always said size doesn't matter? Hmmm...but I digresss.These two guys went to a bunch of different Subway stores and measured sandwiches. Glad they have so much time on their hands. And there we have more proof of our "sue everyone" centric mindset.

Subway is a quick place for me to grab lunch when I'm working because I can get a sandwich loaded with veggies and not worry about having something that has been drenched in butter and full of cheese. Last week when I stopped at one, a group of men got out of a Ford Excursion while I pulled into my parking spot. There were 6 big guys (big not only in height but also girth) who entered Subway right before I did. I watched quite intently as each one ordered their sandwich since they were directly in front of me in line. 

The first guy ordered a meatball footlong with all both cheddar and extra pepper jack. Nothing else, just meatballs, cheese, bread. I missed most of what the the second guy ordered, but know it was a meat laden, veggie lacking sandwich and I did hear "extra bacon". The third, forth and last guy ordered the "Italian" or whatever it is. Basically it's every single processed lunch meat, salami, ham, turkey, etc. Then they all added extra cheese and one did put tomatoes on his. The other two put no veggies, but one did ask for about 10 little ribbons of iceberg lettuce, joking that he had to get some veggies in him or his wife would kill him! No worries guy-your sandwich will do that for you. The remaining guy ordered a turkey sandwich with avocado, jalapenos and olives, slightly better, but still not good. They were regulars as the workers were talking to them about their "job" they were working on, thinking they might have been a construction crew or something working nearby.

Usually when watching that it grosses me out, and it kind of did, but this time I actually felt a little bit of sadness. Sadness knowing that eating that way got them into the state they are in. Sadness in knowing that studies, many studies, now link processed meats (lunch meats and bacon) have been linked to increased rates of pancreatic cancer, colon cancer and other health issues. Sadness that people just either don't get it or simply don't care. I felt sorry for their wives, their kids, their friends, knowing that they are possibly working their way to an early death if they keep eating so bad. 

I recently told a friend of mine that I was trying to stay very healthy and while following a vegan lifestyle, I was trying to stick to a whole foods plant based diet, staying away from processed foods, and cooking without oils, etc. because I feel it is the best way to keep me healthy, keep me from getting heart disease, cancer, etc. And really I am doing it to make sure that my life, no matter how long I have left, is spent healthy, free of meds, free of issues that most people face as they get older such as heart disease, cancer, etc. 

Maybe I have a unique view of how much I cherish life since my brother, dad and mom are all deceased. It taught me early that life can be over in a flash and I want to make sure that I can enjoy my life and stay healthy as long as possible. I don't want to have unnecessary ailments, surgeries, prescriptions, etc. pumped into my body if I can keep it healthy by eating the right foods, staying away from the bad one's where so many studies show the harm in eating them and stay fit with exercise. My friend said she didn't want to live forever. I'm not trying to live forever, everyone dies, we all have an expiration date, but seriously I want to live healthy. I want to travel, see the world, enjoy life, be healthy and happy. I don't want to depend on prescription meds to solve an "ailment" when I can simply eat right to avoid getting that "ailment". 

This whole experience reminded me that the first sign of heart disease in men is ED. Yep, that little "guy" depends on adequate blood flow...arteries are arteries, no matter where they are in your body. I won't go into details, but it's the first sign that something is going on with your heart/arteries, etc. Look it up...I'm not making it up. But I guess it's easier to grab a little blue pill than to make changes to your diet. Seems like that would be something that would make men change...but not enough know about that. 

So I ordered my sandwich, full of every veggie (minus the black olives, ick) and had red wine vinegar on it. A little bit of black pepper and I'm good to go. Gotta keep my "ticker" ticking and want to make sure I'm treating it right!

Why do I post this? Not to chastise anyone, but to hopefully just open one persons eyes, maybe one of you will read this and decide to make a change, small or large...it just takes one person to make a change for their health and that would make me feel good. Some friends have already said they have done so because of something I posted or because of something that I recommended they watch. Forks over Knives probably having the biggest impact because it's all about health and not about the horrors of how meat and dairy gets to your plate (they skip that all together, so it's safe if you are squirmish).

No comments: